For matters of jailbreak, you can rely on the iPhone Dev-Team. And now, less than 24 hours since the release of iOS 5.1 they have releases jailbreak tool to A4 devices that include iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. For you are the owner of A5 devices (iPhone 4S and iPad 2), it has not been able to jailbreak tool you use.
Keep in mind that this is a tethered jailbreak so you need to connect your iDevice to your computer every time iDevice switch-off for various reasons.
Before starting the jailbreak process, please note the following:
- This tool can not be used to jailbreak iPad 2 or iPhone 4S.
- If you are using GEVEY or ultrasn0w unlock, DO NOT update iOS 5.1 firmware (see note at the bottom of this tip)
- You will undergo a tethered boot prosesor enough so that if you are not sure I could do that, please wait for the release of untethered jailbreak tool or downgrade the iOS 5.0.1/4.x.
Step 2: Open iTunes, back up your iDevice.
Step 3: Upgrade the firmware to iOS 5.1. [download link]
Step 5: Run redsn0w, select the ‘Jailbreak’ and then ‘Install Cydia’. Follow the next steps to put the device into DFU mode.
Step 6: In this step you have to repeat many times since the switch-off device that is called a tethered boot. Run redsn0w, select ‘Extras’ and ‘Just Boot’ to tethered-booting iDevice.
Semi-Tethered boot (Optional)
‘SemiTether’patch able to work in 5.1. As the name suggests, this is a tool that exists between tethered and untethered; allows you to boot the device without a computer but the features available are very limited. For that you still need to boot tethered with redsn0w jailbreak to be able to enjoy full functionality. You can get it on BigBoss repo: http://thebigboss.org/semitether.
Note To unlockers:
- If you use a SIM GEVEY interposer or ultrasn0w to unlock iPhone, you need to create a custom. Ipsw to adjust the baseband.
- The redsn0w, select ‘Extras’, then ‘Custom IPSW’, put the iOS file and let redsn0w 5.1 to work.
- Go pwned DFU mode (Extras> pwned DFU) and restore custom firmware via iTunes. Afterwards, you will be able to unlock using ultrasn0w GEVEY or (when available).
Clearer way to jailbreak iOS 5.1 Devices you can see in the video below:
Software, Tips, Tutorial